(2) Remove the ball joint assemblies (par.
(2) Dip bearings in solvent and move them up
and down slowly until they are clean.
(3) Remove the drive shaft assembly (TM 5-
(3) Remove bearings from solvent and strike
larger side of cone flat against a block of
wood to dislodge solidified particles of
(4) Remove the front or rear axle housing and
Blow bearings dry with
compressed air being careful to avoid
b. Disassembly. Disassemble the front or rear axle
(4) Inspect the bearing cones and cups for
housing and differential assembly in numerical sequence
wear, chipping, or nicks.
(5) Inspect the teeth of all gears for wear,
pitting, cracking, chipping, or scoring.
Front and Rear Axle Housing and Differential
(6) Inspect pinion gear teeth for wear and
Assembly Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair
pinion shaft for evidence of twisting,
particularly at splines.
(1) Clean all parts in an approved cleaning
solvent and dry thoroughly.
Figure 84. Front and rear axle housing and differential assembly,
removal and installation.