Section V. STEERING GEAR ASSEMBLY
(3) Remove the turn signal assembly (TM 53825-
The steering gear assembly consists of the
steering wheel, steering gearbox, and tube column. The
(4) Remove the horn button assembly (TM 53825-
steering gear is a seni-reversible cam and twin lever-
type. Both studs of the twin lever engage the cam for
(5) Remove the steering wheel, steering column,
normal, straight-ahead driving, and also act as a dual
and gearbox assembly as instructed on figure
ratio gear which automatically changes from one ratio to
another to suit the requirements of steering stability at a
Disassemble the steering
high speed range, and provides easy wheel turn for
assembly in numerical sequence as illustrated on figure
Steering Gear Assembly Removal and
280. Steering Gear Assembly Cleaning, Inspection,
a. Cleaning. Clean all parts with an approved
(1) Remove the steering sector gearbox shield (TM
cleaning solvent and dry thoroughly.
(2) Remove the control valve (TM 53825-s213-20).
A. Upper removal points.
Figure 79. Steering gear assembly, removal and installation.